Friday, August 17, 2012

Showers, Weddings and Babies, Oh My!


Age may in fact be “just a number,” but these numbers continue to go up. And at this particular age I think it means everything. This purgatory state, which I will label as our twenties- are the ages that make women want to scream violently or ecstatically. It is the bracket in which most women strive to stay in. If you think I am wrong, then ask yourself: why was Botox invented? Even exploring thoughts of crossing the boarder between 29 and 30 can be traumatizing. Trust me, I tried it once, and it didn’t go well. I have learned my lesson.

The point being, your twenties may not be the “best years of your life” but they most certainly are the most pivotal. These vital years are the ones where you start figuring out what you want to do for the rest of your life. You are no longer a starving college student. You are on a career path, making moves, beginning to conquer your goals and most likely looking for a mate to share the adventure with, right? Daunting as it may seem, we are on the brink of a new age: Adulthood. Queue “Dun Dunn Dunnnn”

Literally, every morning I wake up wondering, who’s next? Who will be the next person on my Facebook newsfeed to so informally share with the world that they are now engaged to the person of their dreams. Or, better yet, who will be next to surprise their “friends” with the magical news that they too are now with child. These monumental life moments, the things that we have been contemplating since adolescence, are now actually happening. DAILY! It is exhausting!

Every time I turn around there is someone else getting married or having a baby or both. Free weekends have become scarce. I find myself occupying my free time with Bridal Showers, Baby Showers, Bachelorette Parties and Weddings. The funds in my bank account have dropped lower than Facebooks shareholdings. (Oh snap)

No, but seriously.

All of these events just don’t seem real until they are actually happening. And as much as we want to be happy for the people around us, who’s lives are changing, it is hard not to imagine what it would be like if the hoopla was about you. Things like; When am I going to get married? What will my wedding dress look like? Who will my bridesmaids be? When should I start popping out some kids? These are the questions that plague me with anxiety. You start to think that just because you don’t have a ring on your finger that something is wrong with you.

Absolutely, NOT. Life is about choices. You choose to get married and start a family. You choose the life you want to live. Whether you want to be a MILF or Cougar, the choice is yours. And I will always choose to support those around me. Yes, I will wear the bright pink taffeta and tulle bridesmaid dress. Yes, I will go North Dakota for your Wedding. Yes, I will journey into disease infested TOYS-R-US for your child and Yes, I will still hold your hair back when you are puking, no matter if it’s from alcohol or morning sickness.

Even though my twenties are slowly disappearing and it hurts a little inside, life is too short to dwell on what you don’t have yet, but to celebrate what you have now. I may not be a mother yet, but I am an Aunt. I have three beautiful nieces, whom I can love and spoil and give back to their parents at the end of the day. I also have someone who loves me, respects me and supports me in all of my decisions. I am not lacking, nor needing anything in my twenties. I have the freedom to live my life the way I want to until I have to put others first. If I want to dash off to Europe with my father, I will. If I want to go on a shopping spree, I will. Therefore, I hereby put my anxiety to rest, as I am in no rush. I am happy and I will answer those questions when it is my time.

So to the next person to send me a picture message of their new sparkling diamond- I will be cheersing champagne to you. And the next time my girlfriends and I go on a dinner outing, I will try not to wince at the fact that this may be the last one, pre kids. And the next time I visit my Pinterest I will NOT get depressed at my ever growing faux Wedding board- I will just tell myself am I planning for the time when I choose to make my fantasy a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment